The first elected Village Board chartered the fire department in June of 1924. The first fire protection equipment purchased included:
400 feet of two and one half inch (2.5") single jacket cotton rubber lined fire hose with brass couplings
A two-wheel hand hose cart with a fire axe
Drag rope with two nozzle holders
Early Equipment Costs
This equipment had a price tag of $387 and was housed in a small building on the north side of the railroad tracks.
The first official Clarendon Hills Fire Station was located on property at 212 Burlington Avenue. The building, a former coach house from the Middaugh property, was purchased for $1,200 and moved to the site in 1926.
As times have changed so have the needs of the community. Thus the fire department has become better equipped and manned to handle any incident safely and effectively. Today the fire department has paid on call, part-time, and contracted employees. Paid on call firefighters are recruited from within the community and local businesses.
The Department has an approximate annual operating budget of $900,000 and responds to approximately 1,000 calls yearly.