Municipal Electric Aggregation

The Village Board has authorized MC Squared (MC2) to be our Municipal Electric Aggregate provider for the 2019-2020 calendar year.

Some ratepayers who are served by the Village’s electric aggregation supplier, MC Squared, received a letter from MC Squared in late January informing that supply charges on their ComEd bill would be delayed by one month. This means for those affected, their February ComEd bill will have zero supply charges and be overall lower (ComEd delivery charges would still be in the bill) with those supply charges applied to their March bill, which will thus be overall higher. The missed charges were due to a systems enhancement under process that caused the firm to have inadvertently have missed a deadline which delayed billing by one month.

If you have questions, please call the Village’s electric aggregation consultant, Sharon Durling, at NIMEC: 847-607-1804.


Following a 2013 referendum, residents allowed the Village of Clarendon Hills to negotiate the purchase price of combined electrical supply on behalf of residents and small businesses enrolled in the Aggregation Program (Program).  The Village can leverage better pricing by lumping several purchasers together opposed to an individual going to the market on their own. Since 2013, the Village has held a competitive bidding process on behalf of participants to find the best electric prices.  The lowest competitive bidder is awarded a contract for a 12 month period.  

2019-2020 Program

In July of 2019, the Village again held a competitive bid for the Program.  Bidders offered rates very similar to ComEd’s rate.  It was estimated the lowest competitive bidder would save Program participants around $10.00 over the course of the 12-month contract.  Due to the eclipsing of alternate suppliers and ComEd’s rates, the Village Board renewed a new program with MC Squared (MC2).  The Program charges participants the same rate as ComEd but all energy consumption is offset by the purchasing Renewable Energy Credits (RECs). By purchasing the RECs to offset consumption, the Village’s program is 100% green energy. The Village also becomes an EPA Green Power Partner Community at no increased cost to residents and businesses. 

You do not need to do anything to participate in the Program if you are already enrolled in the old Program.  If you are not enrolled in the program but would like to enroll in it, you can call 1-855-745-9989, Monday-Friday between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM to opt in.  If you have questions about your current contract, please contact your supplier and consult your contract, including whether you have a cancellation fee for early termination. 

Your billing and service will remain the same. You will continue to receive a monthly invoice from ComEd. For more information, email MCat or call MC2 at 1-855-745-9989, Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Again, all residents and small businesses will automatically be enrolled unless they:

  • Choose to opt out as directed in the opt out notice; or
  • Have previously switched to another alternative Supplier; or
  • Participate in an hourly-rate program

Please note: No one will ever come to your home or call to enroll you in the Village’s program. Should you receive such a call from a person purporting to represent the Village, MC2, or ComEd, take the solicitor’s information and contact the Illinois Commerce Commission at their Consumer Services Division complaint line: 800-524-0795.

The Illinois Commerce Commission offers more information about energy deregulation in Illinois and energy supply choices at

For questions about your electric account, do not call Village Hall; call the Village of Clarendon Hills aggregation program supplier, MC2 at 1-855-745-9989.

If you require additional assistance, call NIMEC at 800-727-3820 to leave your question and callback number. You will be contacted within 24 hours regarding the issue.

To report an electrical outage, or for questions pertaining to your ComEd bill, call ComEd at 800-334-7661.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an eligible resident or small commercial account?

Any resident who is currently with ComEd and has not already switched to an Alternative Retail Electric Supplier (ARES) or who is not enrolled in a special Residential Real-Time Pricing (RRTP) program is eligible, and small commercial accounts are eligible. You must also have a residence or business located within the Village limits.

What is a “small commercial account?”
A small commercial account is a commercial account that consumes less than 15,000 kWh per year.

Will I receive two bills, one from ComEd and another from the new supplier?
No. ComEd will continue to bill you for electric supply, delivery and taxes. ComEd delivers electricity, and will continue to bill you for that, but they no longer supply it. They will pass along the fees you pay for the supply of your energy to the new supplier.

Whom do I call if I have service problems?
Always call ComEd with reports of outages or downed power lines at 800-334-7661. For questions about your supply, you can call the customer service number for MC2 at. This will be listed under “Electric Supply Services” on your ComEd bill.

I am enrolled in low-income assistance program. Will that be affected?
No. If you currently receive assistance via PIPP or LIHEAP, that status will not change and you can continue to get these benefits for your ComEd bill.

I’m on ComEd’s budget-billing plan. Will that change?
No. If you are currently on the budget-billing plan, you will remain on that plan.

Can I still have my payment automatically deduced from my bank account?
Yes. The way you pay your ComEd bill will not change.

Will someone come to my home or call to sign me up?
No. If someone calls or visits your home claiming to be the Village’s power supplier, please file a complaint with the ICC at

Is my electric supply at greater risk now that deregulation has opened markets to many new suppliers?
No. By law, ComEd remains the Provider of Last Resort (POLR), so if there is an issue with securing electric supply, ComEd is required to deliver, regardless.

Why are some accounts at ComEd and some at MC2?
MC2’s analysts selected certain accounts to be served by ComEd and others to enroll with MC2, based on usage patterns. All will pay the exact same rate; all are participants in the Village Aggregation Community.

The program features 100% Green energy for the entire Village Aggregation Community (homes and businesses eligible to participate in the Aggregation Program), whether the account is enrolled at MC2 or enrolled at ComEd.

How can the Village provide 100% Green for my account if it is at ComEd?
MC2 has agreed to purchase Renewable Energy Credits (which represent green energy) for the entire Village Aggregation Community, even those served by ComEd.

Can I opt out online?
No. You can opt out by returning the postage-paid card or by calling MC2, at 855-745-9989.

Are we actually receiving Green Energy?
Electrons produced by coal, nuclear power, natural gas as well as wind, solar, methane gas and hydro power are all placed onto the massive power grid that serves many states, including Northern Illinois’ ComEd territory. Once an electron is placed in the grid, they’re identical and you can’t tell where it came from—whether, for example, from coal or solar. It’s like a drop of water in the ocean that can’t be tracked back to its source.

That’s why Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) are created and sold at the time the actual renewable energy is generated. It’s a way to support the actual production of renewable energy that goes into the electric grid that serves your home. The EPA has oversight of Renewable Energy Certificates. They are tradable, auditable, and trackable. MC2 will purchase RECs for the community.

The only way you could receive actual renewable energy is to cut off all ComEd wires connected to your home and wire your home directly to, say, a windmill or hydropower plant on your property.

What is a Wind Renewable Energy Credit (REC)?
It is an actual, audited certificate representing real green energy generated by Wind farms in the Midwest. It is a way for the Village to support renewable energy.

Can I cancel with MC2 at anytime without being charged a termination fee? 
Yes, you can.  The Uniform Disclosure Statement states there is a $0.00 termination fee.  You can also cancel 10 businesses days after the date of your first bill without being charged.  This language suggest a fee may be applied but it is only included in the Uniform Disclosure Statement due to State requirements. 

What is the ComEd electric supply rate?
The ComEd rate is comprised of three components found on the back of your ComEd bill under the word “SUPPLY” in left column, in light gray font.

  •     Electric Supply Charge
  •     Transmission Services Charge
  •     Purchased Electricity Adjustment

Residents enrolled with MC2 will have same pricing but slightly different wording on bills:

  •     Utility Electric Supply Charge
  •     Utility Transmission Services Charge
  •     Utility PEA Charge/Credit

ComEd has estimated the combined Electricity Supply Charge and Transmission Services Charge Starting October will be 7.941¢ per kWh (but they could announce a slight adjustment in late September.) The third component, the Purchased Electricity Adjustment, varies monthly and can be up to a half-cent credit or a half-cent debit to ratepayers. Therefore, the effective ComEd rate from October 2018 to May 2019 can range from 7.541¢ per kWh to 8.541¢ per kWh. For more detail visit, a website established by the Illinois Commerce Commission for consumers to learn about power rates in Illinois.

No one from ComEd, MC2, or the Village will ever call or visit you at home to sign you up.
Important to know: the ComEd rate does change every month, therefore the Village program rate with MC2 will identically vary every month. ComEd has never offered a fixed rate; the cost to generate power is highly variable.