The Village Municipal Code establishes rules and regulations for constructing, erecting, enlarging, remodeling, altering, repairing, raising, lowering, underpinning, moving or wrecking of buildings, structures, or portions thereof and to regulate the location, equipment, use and occupancy thereof, in order to promote public health and safety. Any person planning to perform work in connection with the construction, erection, enlargement, remodeling, altering, repair, raising, lowering, underpinning, moving or wrecking of any building, structure or portion is required to first apply for and obtain a building permit.
- View the Village’s Building Codes As Amended
- View the Village’s Zoning Regulations
- View the Village’s Building Permit Fee Schedule
- View the Village’s Permitted Construction Hours and On-Street Parking Restrictions
- View the Village’s Current Building Permit Report
Forms & Applications
- Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Cost Recovery Form (PDF)
- New Water Service and Meter Agreement (PDF)
- Covenant for Private Improvements within the Right-of-Way (PDF)
- DuPage County Stormwater Management Permit Application
- DuPage Co Health Department Food Program Plan Review
- Certificate of Occupancy Application (business only)
- Streets, Driveways and Aprons (PDF)
- Lawn Sprinkler Submittal Requirements (PDF)
- Accessory Structures including patios, decks, sheds, and detached garages (PDF)
- Demolition Permit Submittal Requirements (PDF)
- Fire Pits and Outdoor Fireplaces
- New Single-Family or Additions greater than 800 SF Submittal Requirements (PDF)
- Single-Family Additions less than 800 SF Submittal Requirements (PDF)
- Commercial Buildings (PDF)
- Required Inspections (PDF)
- Water Meter Requirements
- Are permits required for an overweight vehicles?
- What work requires a building permit?
- Where can I find my plat of survey?
- Does the Village need to inspect my project?
- What documents must be displayed at the job site?
- How can I contact the Community Development Department about a permit question?
- When should I call the Community Development Department about a project?
- What is a Certificate of Occupancy/Completion?
- What is a building permit?
- Who is responsible for restoring the areas around the construction site?
Downers Grove Accessor
Twice per month, the Village is required to present copies of all permits issued over the previous fifteen (15) days to the Downers Grove Township Assessor’s Office. In accordance with the State of Illinois Property Tax Code, the township assessment officials are required to inspect real estate for the purposes of assessment. Questions regarding assessment should be directed to Downers Grove Assessor Gregory A. Boltz, CIAO, CPA at firstname.lastname@example.org.