The Village of Clarendon Hills is excited to announce its participation in the recently formed Downers Grove Regional Peer Jury program. A Peer Jury is an alternative to court for first-time juvenile offenders of non-serious offenses, such as theft, vandalism, disorderly conduct, tobacco possession or underage drinking. The jury is comprised of high-school-aged student volunteers. Juveniles must agree to the peer jury process and provide an admission of guilt to participate in the program.
In 2018, the Downers Grove Village Council directed staff to operate a peer jury program for qualifying cases from municipalities nearby Downers Grove which previously participated in the Downers Grove Township program. This cooperative effort includes Burr Ridge, Clarendon Hills, Darien, Downers Grove, Hinsdale, Oak Brook, & Willowbrook. The Downers Grove Regional Peer Jury was sworn in by DuPage County State's Attorney Robert Berlin on October 16, 2018.
The Peer Jury's purpose is to provide a means for the young offender to account for their own behavior to a group of peers and repair the harm caused to the victim and to the surrounding community. Peer Jury does not determine guilt or innocence. Peer Jurors attempt to understand why the offender committed the offense and then determine the consequences to help the offender be accountable for their actions and further develop the offender into an upstanding member of the community. Peer Jurors sign an oath of confidentiality and are required to recuse themselves from any case in which they know or could know the offender. All juveniles appearing before the Peer Jury are treated with dignity and respect.
Learn more about Peer Jury by watching this video.
The Village of Clarendon Hills is currently accepting applications to fill one (1) juror positions on the Downers Grove Regional Peer Jury. Please read the following information for the selection process before submitting an application:
- The one position has been allocated to Clarendon Hills residents who will be entering their junior year in high school during the 2019-2020 school year. Sophomore students may submit an application to be considered for this selection process in the event that the rosters spot remains open.
- A Juror will be randomly selected from the pool of applicants who have submitted an application by Monday, September 9, 2019 at 5pm.
- Juror will serve a two-year term through their senior year of high school. One applicant will be selected from any one of the following schools: Hinsdale Central High School, Westmont High School, or a private high school.
- The selected juror will be required to attend an orientation session from 5pm-7pm on Thursday, October 3, 2019.
Fill out your Juror Application here to be a part of the program.
NOTE: This application is for Clarendon Hills residents only. If you live in a different municipality that participates in the program, please contact your municipality if you are interested in becoming a peer juror.
Questions regarding the application process can be submitted to email@example.com
Peer Jury hearings are normally held at the Downers Grove Village Council Chambers on select Thursday evenings.
- 11/26/2019 (Tuesday)
- A willingness to commit 2-3 hours a month to attend peer jury hearings
- Possess an interest in helping peers and the community
- Must have parent or guardian approval to participate
- Must be trusted to keep confidential information
- Damage to Property
- Retail Theft
- Disorderly Conduct
- Criminal Trespass
- Possession of Alcohol
- Possession of cannabis/drug paraphernalia
- Other Cases as Approved